All recipes Share
Rhubarb Vegetable Soup
This comforting soup is full of nutrients and it’s quick and easy to make. Garnish with parsley and a dollop of yogurt or sour cream.
- 1 cup (240 ml) dried lentils (a mixture of dried beans, barley, peas and lentils would also work)
- 2- 3 tbsp. (30- 45 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (480 ml) finely chopped carrots
- 2 cups (480 ml) chopped celery
- 1 ½ medium size onions, chopped
- 1 cup (240 ml) Snowcrest Frozen Rhubarb
- 6 cups (1 ½ liters) boiling water
- 3 bouillon cubes (chicken, beef or vegetable base)
- ⅛ cup (30 ml) dried parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Before starting, soak the lentils in a bowl of boiling water.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the soup base in 6 cups boiling water to dissolve.
- In a large pot, heat vegetable oil over medium heat, add the onions and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chopped carrots and celery and sauté together for about 6 minutes, or until vegetables have started to soften.
- Add the Snowcrest Frozen Rhubarb and the parsley, and sauté for a bit longer.
- Drain the lentils and add them to the pot.
- Add the soup base and bring the entire mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, lift the pot lid slightly, and simmer mixture for about 25 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Allow the soup to cool slightly, then garnish and serve.